Traditional assessments and needs analysis look for gaps. And most 360 feedback tools focus on finding and fixing weaknesses. This often leads to:
- Participants feeling beat up by feedback reports
- Negative response or avoidance of 360 multi-rater feedback tools
- Erosion of confidence
- Defensiveness and fear of making mistakes
- Data denial and feedback phobia
- Working on a weak area and only getting it to average — with mediocre results
- A belief that extraordinary leadership is achieved by naturally gifted or “born leaders”
It’s the presence of strengths — not the absence of weaknesses — that defines highly effective leaders. Building strengths is proving to be the only way to move from an average or ordinary leader to extraordinary or exceptional. In a series of studies looking at the impact of leaders choosing to fix weaknesses versus building on existing strengths, leaders who magnified their existing strengths showed two – three times more improvement in leadership effectiveness than leaders who worked on fixing their weaknesses.
What’s especially remarkable is how obtainable extraordinary leadership is proving to be. A leader needs to develop just three existing strengths to catapult his or her leadership effectiveness from the 34th to the 80th percentile.
The Extraordinary Leader Workshop is now available online. Zenger Folkman’s Live Online Workshop will be delivered in two 3-hour sessions on April 5 and 7 by a live facilitator. You’ll get the same award-winning content and learning objectives as the in-person workshop.
During the online workshop, a Zenger Folkman facilitator will help you:
- Understand the significant on-the-job performance differences between “good” and “extraordinary” leaders
- Learn the 16 leadership competencies that differentiate extraordinary leaders
- Discover why enhancing existing leadership strengths is the most successful way to become an extraordinary leader
- Prepare to receive an individual 360-degree leadership feedback report, understand the report structure, interpret the data, and discuss how it can best be used in a positive way
- Perform a step-by-step analysis of your feedback report using a structured process with individual and group exercises
- Use Zenger Folkman’s unique leadership cross-training approach to construct a customized Individual Development Plan